John T. Casteen, III Diversity - Equity - Inclusion Leadership Award
About the Award
In 2010, The Office of the Vice President and Chief Officer for Diversity and Equity at the University of Virginia established the John T. Casteen, III Diversity - Equity - Inclusion Leadership Award. The award honors members of the University community who best demonstrate a dedication to leadership and the ability to create a setting in which the promotion of diversity, equity, and inclusion is paramount. The recipients are announced annually during an award luncheon. For the inception year of 2010, the award committee selected outgoing University President John T. Casteen III. Since then, a Call for Nominations selection process has been utilized.
The award honors one student, one staff and one faculty member from the University of Virginia, UVA Health and University of Virginia’s College at Wise.
- The nominees/recipients must be a current student, faculty, or staff member at the University of Virginia;
- The nominees/recipients must have demonstrated a deep commitment and distinct passion for diversity at the University of Virginia and community;
- The nominees/recipients must exemplify a leadership role in increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion at the University of Virginia and community;
- The nominees/recipients must have achieved a significant and quantifiable impact on diversity, equity, and inclusion at the University of Virginia and community proportionate to the duration of the nominee’s efforts.
- Selection Committee
The selection committee for the John T. Casteen, III Diversity - Equity - Inclusion Leadership Award will include seven voting members, consisting of:
- The Vice President for Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Community Partnerships or his designee, as chair;
- Six at-large members selected by the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Community Partnerships from the university community, including one student member;
- One ex-officio, non-voting member from the Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, serving as Executive Secretary.
- Nomination Process
Any current member of the University community (student, faculty, or staff) is eligible for nomination, according to the above criteria. In addition to the nomination form, the committee requires a letter describing how the nominee has exemplified the award-related criteria and two additional letters of support (one of which must be from outside the nominee's department or school).
Nominations are due by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, February 26, 2021. The completed nomination form and letters of support may be e-mailed to [email protected]. Contact the Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion with questions regarding the nomination process.
Year Award Recipients 2010 John T. Casteen, III 2011 2012 Bob Covert 2013 Kim Forde-Mazrui 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Valerie Gregory 2020 2021 Tabitha Smith